Well Dearies, the John Mayer/Citibank #BKLovesMayer contest winner was supposed to be chosen on 12/4/13. After spending countless hours of several days searching every single one of the 3,000+ photos entered I finally found the winner! It has not been publicly displayed on any websites yet, therefore I am not going to show it to you or tell you who submitted the winning photo. If you are so inclined & crazy like I am you can scroll through all the entries on Instagram & read the comments. I will tell you her’s was definitely in the first half if not the first quarter of the entries.
Now if you remember correctly, This contest was to submit photos of who or what you love. It was set up with the release of John Mayer & Katy Perry’s single “Who You Love” off the Paradise Valley album. There were 6 pages of what was labeled as “Official Contest Rules” which included how the contest was supposed to be judged. I use the word “supposed” very loosely as I am going to explain herein. You can also find the complete set of rules using the following link: http://citi-john-mayer.herokuapp.com/pdfs/CitiJohnMayerInstagramContestRules.pdf
If you perused the pics on Instagram for this contest you would notice that not many people actually followed the rules. There were tons of ordinary family, bf & gf, pets, John Mayer, & guitar pics submitted. Very few of any of the photos had any kind of good caption with them. It really should have been narrowed down to 10-20 enteries at the most! The following is a quote directly from the rules posted by Billboard.com who was a sponsor of this contest: “4. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. On or about December 4, 2013, one (1) potential grand prize winner will be selected by John Mayer who will judge all eligible Entries received throughout the Promotion Period based on criteria that will include aesthetics, creativity, voice, visual impact, sensitivity, originality, creativity of caption, and clarity) In the event of a tie, the Entry among the tied Entries with the highest score in visual impact will be deemed the potential grand prize winner.”
So this would lead one to believe that you’d have to present a pretty good picture. It would most likely be a picture that a person put some serious thought & effort into creating. Those are pretty steep criteria for judging the winner. Not to mention to be chosen by Mr. John Mayer himself! (wow I just had a willy wonka flashback! lol) I would think John Mayer would be a pretty tough judge on the above criteria. Needless to say, the photo was of a lady with her grandpa sitting on a porch holding a guitar. Lovely picture yes, but contest winning material…
I’m not picking on this girl. It certainly isn’t her fault that this MACPresents (who is apparently in charge of setting things like this up) chose her picture. Is it b/c she started following @MACPresents on Instagram or b/c she begged with little emoji praying hands? Who knows, but I certainly do not believe John Mayer was the judge of this contest which is quite disturbing since they advertised he was!
So basically there are 2 theories of thought here. He couldn’t spare the time over the full week between the closing date of the contest & the date of winner notification & didn’t even bother to look at them. And for the record It wouldn’t have taken very long especially if he had someone weeding out the unoriginal ones. It wasn’t like there were 20,000 photos. Or he just picked any ole picture without really giving any thought to it. Either way, I am personally insulted that John Mayer didn’t have the courtesy to take this contest seriously!
There is no doubt in my mind that there are going to be many other fans who have similar feelings. Morgan & I have spent countless hours driving, not sleeping, & waiting in lines , not to mention the financial part! All done out of love for an artist who we thought gave a rat’s ass about his fans! Now only to look at the whole situation & say to ourselves, “We were wrong all along. He really doesn’t care anymore.” I told Morgan from the get go not to get her hopes up, but still we had some great entries that ranged from emotional to artistic & she should have had a good chance! Sadly not! All of our entries are on my previous post. You can judge for yourself.
So it is with a heavy heart & almost with tears in my eyes that I think I’m retiring from this blog. It has been great fun. I thank each & every one of you for being here whether you were regular readers or just happened by once in a while. You’re support has meant a great deal to me & I’m glad I could entertain you a bit. I may someday return, but as of right now I have lost a great deal of respect & need to step back from John Mayer a bit. We were going to buy tickets to see JM in Connecticut on 12/16, but I refuse to spend another dime on him right now. This just seems like it was a joke & the John Mayer I’ve known & loved wouldn’t have let it be made into such a mockery.
Perhaps we will run across each other at another time!
John Mayer met up with Ari Shapiro from NPR on Thanksgiving day for a live interview. The link is below for those of you who were too busy with family or unable to tune in to NPR. It’s a nice little 22 minute interview with some live songs from Paradise Valley & one flashback! We learn that John Mayer & I have the same favorite food at Thanksgiving dinner & the one word you never want John Mayer to say to you if you ever meet him! LOL Enjoy & I hope you all had a nice holiday! I hope this link works!
I can’t sleep & I’m in a strange kind of mood tonight. So I thought I’d do a bit of personal stuff & give you the top 50 reasons why I love John Mayer…
1. How serious & into his music he gets when performing.
2. He plays multiple instruments including piano which happens to be my favorite next to the cello!
3. Yes, he is incredibly sexy & doesn’t even have to put effort into it.
4. His tattoos are pretty bad ass.
5. He lives in NYC, one of my favorite places on earth.
6. A great sense of humor.
7. His douchebaggery which is just part of that aforementioned sense of humor.
8. He dated Jennifer Aniston (how can you not love her?)
9. Comfortable & the rest of the Inside Wants Out EP
10. His previously unrefined voice that just oozed talent waiting to be unleashed.
11. The cultivated gift that eventually was unleashed in his vocal abilities.
12. He hasn’t married Katy Perry, yet. (but I’m guessing a proposal is on the way around the holidays even though if my momma taught me anything it was: once you make your mind to leave someone no matter how many times you go back you’re still going to split b/c there was a reason you wanted out in the first place! (for the majority anyway) & I don’t like her, but I guess I don’t have to like her.
13. He has actually said, “this is a song about girly parts” LOL
14. Who could forget those lips?!
15. He’s involved in charities like VHIP & GlocalCitizen.org
16. He brought his dad on stage in Denver.
17. Something’s Missing…
18. He changes his look almost as often as Madonna & he always looks great!
19. He spontaneously bought a girl a guitar in NYC.
20. Zane Carney!
21. He writes about realistic shit & apparently real people, but it’s cool to have your own song! I’ve got my own song from a friend & while I’m not quite the cat’s pajamas, I’m still pretty fucking cool! LOL I’ll post for you sometime!
22. John Mayer shares his birthday with the likes of: Noah Webster, Bert Kaemfart, Oscar Wilde, & Angela Lansbury (who doesn’t love the tea pot from Beauty & the Beast?)
23. Fruit Vultures!
24. All of his Rolling Stone covers!
25. The John Mayer Trio
26. All the funny faces
27. His shows start on time
28. He used to make time for his fans hopefully will again someday.
29. He does silly things like taking pics of fans taking pics of him
30. There is no John Mayer cologne or perfume
31. He recently leaked his latest CD, Paradise Valley, so we could enjoy before it was available!
32. Some of his songs are a bit cheesy & everyone needs a little cheese from time to time.
33. He’s a pretty good photographer.
34. Versatile! Dressed up or down he always looks like great!
35. He’s friends with Justin Timberlake. I don’t know how good, but I love JT too!
36. He is a connoisseur of time pieces! A good watch is the one accessory I cannot live without! Obviously I’m not up to “John Mayer good” standards, but I love them nonetheless even mine that are about 1/1000 of the cost of JM’s! lol
37. The following is an actual quote, “you know there’s an encore too. The encore is sort of like the condom in the pocket: everybody knows it’s there but nobody talks about it.” Love it!
38. Assassin (strikes me as such a different song from his other stuff)
39. He’s a pervert & never tried to hide it.
40. Dental hygiene is a priority
41. Of all his songs I can name only a few that I can say I don’t really like.
42. He is very grammar conscious.
43. The funny or die video about making a song.
44. That baby face!
45. The mankini!!! hahahaha
46. He does read the signs @ his shows
47. He used to use twitter & instagram quite often (that was fun. wish he’d start again)
48. Randall the camera fellow! nice guy!
49. The Christmas sweater he had on for Ellen
50. The diversity of his albums!
Feel free to leave me your reasons if I missed them in my own list!
Wanted to let everyone know that sadly for some unknown reason (to me at least) John Mayer has canceled the 11/19/13 show in Moline, IL & the 11/20/13 show in Sioux City, IA. I just happened to notice a couple of days ago & I’m not really sure why. I do however, know that Zane Carney is having vocal issues with proposed surgery on 11/15/13. So perhaps he needs a bit more recuperation time? I’m not quite sure, but I do feel bad for those who were waiting to see John Mayer & family! I would be so terribly brokenhearted! Hell, I’ve seen them 8 times already & still am absolutely crushed that I couldn’t get great seats to see them one last time in December!!!! And we’re so spoiled that I won’t buy anything less than the best seats. I’m going to keep watching, but I’m not getting my hopes up. Stupid me, should have bought them when they were on pre sale for Citi card members!!!!! UGH, what in the world was I thinking? I already know what I was thinking, “we’ve been to 8 shows & he rarely changes it up, put the cash towards a real vacation!” No doubt, it was one of my “I don’t like him anymore days!” lol It’s a very sensitive relationship we have with Mr. Mayer. Morgan has these days as well, but no matter what, we always love him in the end!!!!!!
Regardless of my feelings, I truly hope not to many of you will be affected & if you really love John Mayer are able to catch a show somewhere else close by you. I’m not all that familiar with the Midwest. Sorry for the sad news! And we do wish Zane Carney a speedy recovery & not only because we love him & were going to try to see him again solo in NYC, but he’s just so damn adorable & magnificently talented!
On a side note John Mayer played twice on the BBC Two on the show Later With Jools Holland! Sorry that’s late info, but if you happen to have the channel maybe the play reruns? I really don’t know. I am not a TV person.
Another tidbit of info for you: you have 11 days remaining to enter the “Taste of Country John Mayer tickets with a meet & greet!” So you better get on it if you’re interested! It might make up for someone missing those 2 canceled shows…
October 15, 2013 was John Mayer’s first show in Europe for the Born & Raised tour in Herning, Denmark. Currently, it’s around 3am there so the show was actually yesterday. And to get totally off track here, do you know what October 16th is? That’s right, today in Denmark or tomorrow in the US is JM’s 36th birthday!!!!!! I’m still trying to figure out how we’re going to celebrate tomorrow & what can we possibly give John Mayer for a birthday gift????
Ok, back to task here. The set list is up for the Herning show. You’ll see it posted below. You’ll also see it isn’t much different than most of John’s other shows this tour! He did play “Belief” & “No Such Thing” neither of which I got to see on our multiple show run, but all the rest we did see live & all were fantastic! I have no doubt this show was nothing less than amazing!
Here’s your setlist. While you’re perusing think about what you’d get John Mayer for his 36th birthday tomorrow & let us know! I personally am intrigued by the idea of what fans might send him if it were possible. Me? I’m considering a copy of all his different albums so he can remember some of his other songs!?!?! :X
Oh that wasn’t nice was it? Well it was a joke, because it doesn’t matter what he plays he’s always unbelievably incredible!!!!!! I hope I’m forgiven!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN MAYER!!!!!!!!!!
I’m so jealous of the fans in Frederiksberg, Denmark that are going to get to spend your birthday with you!!!!! Hope you all have a smashing day!
Set List from 10-15-13 Herning, Denmark
1. Queen of California
3. Goin Down the Road
4. Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
5. Half of my Heart
6. Waiting on the Day
8. Born & Raised
10. Free Falling
11. Something Like Olivia
12. Paper Doll
13. Dear Marie
14. Who Says
15. If I ever Get Around to Living
16. No Such Thing
17. Why Georgia
18. Age of Worry