Well Dearies, the John Mayer/Citibank #BKLovesMayer contest winner was supposed to be chosen on 12/4/13. After spending countless hours of several days searching every single one of the 3,000+ photos entered I finally found the winner! It has not been publicly displayed on any websites yet, therefore I am not going to show it to you or tell you who submitted the winning photo. If you are so inclined & crazy like I am you can scroll through all the entries on Instagram & read the comments. I will tell you her’s was definitely in the first half if not the first quarter of the entries.
Now if you remember correctly, This contest was to submit photos of who or what you love. It was set up with the release of John Mayer & Katy Perry’s single “Who You Love” off the Paradise Valley album. There were 6 pages of what was labeled as “Official Contest Rules” which included how the contest was supposed to be judged. I use the word “supposed” very loosely as I am going to explain herein. You can also find the complete set of rules using the following link: http://citi-john-mayer.herokuapp.com/pdfs/CitiJohnMayerInstagramContestRules.pdf
If you perused the pics on Instagram for this contest you would notice that not many people actually followed the rules. There were tons of ordinary family, bf & gf, pets, John Mayer, & guitar pics submitted. Very few of any of the photos had any kind of good caption with them. It really should have been narrowed down to 10-20 enteries at the most! The following is a quote directly from the rules posted by Billboard.com who was a sponsor of this contest: “4. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. On or about December 4, 2013, one (1) potential grand prize winner will be selected by John Mayer who will judge all eligible Entries received throughout the Promotion Period based on criteria that will include aesthetics, creativity, voice, visual impact, sensitivity, originality, creativity of caption, and clarity) In the event of a tie, the Entry among the tied Entries with the highest score in visual impact will be deemed the potential grand prize winner.”
So this would lead one to believe that you’d have to present a pretty good picture. It would most likely be a picture that a person put some serious thought & effort into creating. Those are pretty steep criteria for judging the winner. Not to mention to be chosen by Mr. John Mayer himself! (wow I just had a willy wonka flashback! lol) I would think John Mayer would be a pretty tough judge on the above criteria. Needless to say, the photo was of a lady with her grandpa sitting on a porch holding a guitar. Lovely picture yes, but contest winning material…
I’m not picking on this girl. It certainly isn’t her fault that this MACPresents (who is apparently in charge of setting things like this up) chose her picture. Is it b/c she started following @MACPresents on Instagram or b/c she begged with little emoji praying hands? Who knows, but I certainly do not believe John Mayer was the judge of this contest which is quite disturbing since they advertised he was!
So basically there are 2 theories of thought here. He couldn’t spare the time over the full week between the closing date of the contest & the date of winner notification & didn’t even bother to look at them. And for the record It wouldn’t have taken very long especially if he had someone weeding out the unoriginal ones. It wasn’t like there were 20,000 photos. Or he just picked any ole picture without really giving any thought to it. Either way, I am personally insulted that John Mayer didn’t have the courtesy to take this contest seriously!
There is no doubt in my mind that there are going to be many other fans who have similar feelings. Morgan & I have spent countless hours driving, not sleeping, & waiting in lines , not to mention the financial part! All done out of love for an artist who we thought gave a rat’s ass about his fans! Now only to look at the whole situation & say to ourselves, “We were wrong all along. He really doesn’t care anymore.” I told Morgan from the get go not to get her hopes up, but still we had some great entries that ranged from emotional to artistic & she should have had a good chance! Sadly not! All of our entries are on my previous post. You can judge for yourself.
So it is with a heavy heart & almost with tears in my eyes that I think I’m retiring from this blog. It has been great fun. I thank each & every one of you for being here whether you were regular readers or just happened by once in a while. You’re support has meant a great deal to me & I’m glad I could entertain you a bit. I may someday return, but as of right now I have lost a great deal of respect & need to step back from John Mayer a bit. We were going to buy tickets to see JM in Connecticut on 12/16, but I refuse to spend another dime on him right now. This just seems like it was a joke & the John Mayer I’ve known & loved wouldn’t have let it be made into such a mockery.
Perhaps we will run across each other at another time!
Ok, I don’t normally do this. I write this blog about John Mayer & very rarely do I bring Katy Perry into it, but these photos are just so absolutely stunning I have to share them with you! Below are the photos by Mario Sorrentil for Vanity Fair & the release of the single “Who You Love.” They both look just spectacular! No matter how you feel about John Mayer or Katy Perry you must admit they are “beautiful” separately & together they are mesmerizing! But whatever you do or however you feel, please stop calling them JATY!!!!!!! That just sucks!
I can’t sleep & I’m in a strange kind of mood tonight. So I thought I’d do a bit of personal stuff & give you the top 50 reasons why I love John Mayer…
1. How serious & into his music he gets when performing.
2. He plays multiple instruments including piano which happens to be my favorite next to the cello!
3. Yes, he is incredibly sexy & doesn’t even have to put effort into it.
4. His tattoos are pretty bad ass.
5. He lives in NYC, one of my favorite places on earth.
6. A great sense of humor.
7. His douchebaggery which is just part of that aforementioned sense of humor.
8. He dated Jennifer Aniston (how can you not love her?)
9. Comfortable & the rest of the Inside Wants Out EP
10. His previously unrefined voice that just oozed talent waiting to be unleashed.
11. The cultivated gift that eventually was unleashed in his vocal abilities.
12. He hasn’t married Katy Perry, yet. (but I’m guessing a proposal is on the way around the holidays even though if my momma taught me anything it was: once you make your mind to leave someone no matter how many times you go back you’re still going to split b/c there was a reason you wanted out in the first place! (for the majority anyway) & I don’t like her, but I guess I don’t have to like her.
13. He has actually said, “this is a song about girly parts” LOL
14. Who could forget those lips?!
15. He’s involved in charities like VHIP & GlocalCitizen.org
16. He brought his dad on stage in Denver.
17. Something’s Missing…
18. He changes his look almost as often as Madonna & he always looks great!
19. He spontaneously bought a girl a guitar in NYC.
20. Zane Carney!
21. He writes about realistic shit & apparently real people, but it’s cool to have your own song! I’ve got my own song from a friend & while I’m not quite the cat’s pajamas, I’m still pretty fucking cool! LOL I’ll post for you sometime!
22. John Mayer shares his birthday with the likes of: Noah Webster, Bert Kaemfart, Oscar Wilde, & Angela Lansbury (who doesn’t love the tea pot from Beauty & the Beast?)
23. Fruit Vultures!
24. All of his Rolling Stone covers!
25. The John Mayer Trio
26. All the funny faces
27. His shows start on time
28. He used to make time for his fans hopefully will again someday.
29. He does silly things like taking pics of fans taking pics of him
30. There is no John Mayer cologne or perfume
31. He recently leaked his latest CD, Paradise Valley, so we could enjoy before it was available!
32. Some of his songs are a bit cheesy & everyone needs a little cheese from time to time.
33. He’s a pretty good photographer.
34. Versatile! Dressed up or down he always looks like great!
35. He’s friends with Justin Timberlake. I don’t know how good, but I love JT too!
36. He is a connoisseur of time pieces! A good watch is the one accessory I cannot live without! Obviously I’m not up to “John Mayer good” standards, but I love them nonetheless even mine that are about 1/1000 of the cost of JM’s! lol
37. The following is an actual quote, “you know there’s an encore too. The encore is sort of like the condom in the pocket: everybody knows it’s there but nobody talks about it.” Love it!
38. Assassin (strikes me as such a different song from his other stuff)
39. He’s a pervert & never tried to hide it.
40. Dental hygiene is a priority
41. Of all his songs I can name only a few that I can say I don’t really like.
42. He is very grammar conscious.
43. The funny or die video about making a song.
44. That baby face!
45. The mankini!!! hahahaha
46. He does read the signs @ his shows
47. He used to use twitter & instagram quite often (that was fun. wish he’d start again)
48. Randall the camera fellow! nice guy!
49. The Christmas sweater he had on for Ellen
50. The diversity of his albums!
Feel free to leave me your reasons if I missed them in my own list!
We’ve all seen the video clip or at the very least heard about how John Mayer gushed on & on in Philly at his 4th of July show about how Katy Perry is his “Face to Call Home” & how “wonderful & supportive” she is and then dedicated the song to her. blah, blah, blah… Yes it was sweet & mushy, but one has to wonder how much of that speech she actually wrote herself, with all her supposed demands & rules.
Nonetheless, up until recently he has been singing his song “Face to Call Home” as his last at almost every show. Now we’ve all also seen or heard about John & Katy spending some time together since his last few shows have been in California. (How about that poor girl who asked for a pic & he just did a photo bomb in her selfie? What’s up with that JM? No John, it’s nowhere near the same thing, but anyway…) Yeah, in CA & spending time with the honey & then… The last 2 shows he’s not played “Katy’s song” last to wind up the night. He’s also added “Fool to Love You” to his setlist as of late. Which could be just b/c as he says his voice is improving little by little & maybe it’s one of the more recent songs he’s been able to add. Then again, since John seems to express himself via his songs is there a little bit more to it?
I personally don’t like Katy & I REALLY despise that the media has named them “Jaty!” That’s just plain fucking retarded! My daughter Morgan, on the other hand & I’m sure many other hormonally supercharged ladies out there certainly hope these are signs that John will be back on the market soon. LOL Either way, it doesn’t really matter what we think in the long run. Just thought I’d ramble a bit about “Things that make me go hmmmm.”